June 23, 2020
After what has been a five-year process, the schoolhouse is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. One of 15 identified surviving pre-Rosenwald, one-room schoolhouses for African-Americans built on church grounds within the state of Georgia.
Friends of Cherry Grove Schoolhouse became an incorporated organization. The schoolhouse was nominated and then approved by the Georgia National Register Review Board.
The schoolhouse was nominated as significant under the National Register Criterion C in the area of architecture as a rare example of a vernacular one-room schoolhouse with no stylistic features. It was also significant under National Register Criterion A in the area of ethnic heritage/black and education.
Founder Barrett Hanson recognized the need to preserve this early African-American educational institution. The community, for generations, had witnessed its suffering from deterioration due to exposure and lack of maintenance funds. Trusted advocates from the community were gathered with a mission.
The schoolhouse is located on the four-acre campus of the Cherry Grove Baptist Church at 1878 Danburg Road (Route 44 North) surrounded by an unincorporated rural farming community, most notably, historical Cohentown. The building was used to teach primary school through the seventh grade.
To this day, the schoolhouse is still owned by the same congregation which originally acquired the land. The building continued to be used as a school with elementary grades taught by a single teacher until the early 1950s when many small rural church schools in the county were closed and consolidated to a larger school for African-Americans.
Church Grounds Land Acquired